Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Memento

 


Memory Mint

Air dry clay, green and white Winsor & Newton inks

2" x 3" x 2"



This sculpture represents a memory associated with my grandfather, specifically from the year 2017. My grandfather used to always give my brothers and I those little round spearmints, and he would hold out the bag for us to pick one out. I specifically remember him doing this in 2017 on my 8th grade graduation day. I used air dry clay in attempt to make the sculpture look the way the mint bag did. It was tattered and had three corners that opened up when you pulled a string. The white and green inks were important to incorporate into this piece because they are the colors of the spearmint candy. The green, especially, creates a focal point, which is important for the reason that my grandfather is Irish, wears the color green all the time, and the color green symbolizes him to me. The striped pattern is also important because that is the way the spearmint candies were patterned. 

Heather Caufield | Spearmint Vase with Tangelo Petals (2018) | Available  for Sale | Artsy

Heather Caufield


Spearmint Star Platter Sculpture by Gabriel Kline | Saatchi Art

Gabriel Kline


Memento Mori (330) Ring Dish. Ceramic small ring dish or vitamins dish  Handmade by Kelly Newcomer


Kelly Newcomer


On Longing Assignment


"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy."

This is a photo I took of a shark tooth that I found at Guana Reserve Beach. This photo reminded me of this quote because it is a real shark tooth that came from a real shark that I found while walking and searching in nature. 


"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped  by the body."

I chose this image of a miniature Alpaca souvenir for this quote because it fits perfectly. I got this alpaca souvenir from an alpaca sanctuary in Vermont, and it is a miniature alpaca made from real alpaca wool. 



"The place of origin must remain unavailable for desire to be generated."

This is a photo of the lake in my hometown named Lake Quannapowitt. I chose this photo because this is a lake that is not allowed to be swam in, and many of the sand areas surrounding it are blocked off, yet people still tend to hang out around it. This fits with the quote because although the lake is unavailable, it creates a desire to be there. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

A Natural History of the Senses Relief Sculpture

  Fire & Ice Cardstock paper, acrylic paint, gel medium, hot glue, masking tape 17" x 14" x 1" The sculpture entitled Fir...